Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Still no Spanish....

I worked with the same attending for the last 2 days and he is wonderful. Loves to teach, challenge me with question yet is so encouraging and nice. Yesterday my first patient was a 20 year old who was a slam dunk case of appendicitis. I was suspicious of it, did some tests, clinical exams, imaging and then sent her up to surgery. I'd like to think I saved her life but its not exactly a mystery when your right lower quadrant starts to hurt, even she knew it was probably her appendix. damn. What made it super sweet was her uncle asking my out on a date before she was taken up to the surgery floor. I politely declined.

 Today was all about seizures, had several cases. Then the day ended with a 17 year old who was playing with a machete [why you ask? because he is a 17 year old boy] and got his arm sliced open. Was a 10cm laceration on his bicep that went pretty deep, deep enough for me to stick a quarter of my finger into the hole [after i numbed it up of course]. I ended up doing a double layer closure- took 5 stitches on the inside to put together the muscle then 15 sutures to close up the skin. I think i did pretty good for being tired, sick and tired [we had a lecture at 6 this morning].


I was very tempted to draw eyes and make a smiley face....



1 comment: